Saturday, January 30, 2010

As Seen on TV!

For those of you who know me well, I am not a big TV watcher. If there is a show that I hear people rave on and on about, I catch up on it using Netflix, then watch it online when I have time/energy/nothing better to do. I don't know if it was my upbringing (going outside whenever it wasn't lightning or reading every book in the young adult section of the library), but sitting in front of the TV never really was a priority of mine.

When a best friend died in 2007, I spent two weeks at his fiance's house, sitting on the couch and alternating between crying, laughing, and watching whatever was on their huge flat screen TV. I was introduced to shows like Ghost Hunters, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, Reba...

And now, the rescue station has a huge TV in the day room, with a million channels and not much to watch. But late at night, when everyone else is asleep there and my nocturnal brain is keeping me awake, I watch programs like Nick at Nite. They broadcast the shows that I wasn't really allowed to watch by sneaking behind my parents' backs while at friends' houses (sorry Mom and Dad! I still turned out to be a pretty good kid despite watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air!). But when it comes time for the commercial break, they don't show several 30-second spots; they have one mini-infomercial, which they show every time it's time for a commercial break. And it's always those As Seen on TV type of products.

And I like them!

When I saw an ad for the Shake Weight, I made a smart comment like, "Or you could just do a pushup." But the more I watched it, the more I thought, "I wanna get rid of my flabby arms!" I would have taken out my credit card and ordered it right then and there, but a co-EMT told me she saw it at Target. I may have to make a trip there next week.

And it's not like I'm a sucker for buying cheap "junk." So far, everything I've bought with the "As Seen on TV" sticker has brought me great happiness.

I currently own several products that displayed the iconic red label on it's packaging. My most current buy was the InStyler, which actually works and can straighten my waves and cow licks as if the makers had me in mind. People at work have even noticed that my hair is smoother and doesn't kink in a million different directions. Add that to the Hairdini, the Strap Perfect, and some type of shoe inserts I purchased for arch support, I am good to go out and face the world.

I just need a Snuggie and I may be able to face the couch at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment